Renovations never seem to go as planned. There’s always a cost you didn’t anticipate, or a problem that didn’t reveal itself until the project was underway. Here are five common costs to look out for.
1. Higher utility bills: If contractors and builders are working in your home all day, there’s a good chance they’re constantly walking in and out the exterior doors. That wreaks havoc on your heating/cooling efficiency, so watch out for higher utility bills.
2. Movers: It’s pretty hard to renovate a fully furnished home. You may be able to move and store most of your furniture yourself, but homeowners often have bigger pieces that require some hired help.
3. Food: If your kitchen is being torn apart, preparing meals becomes a lot more difficult. You may be able to keep your food budget steady by switching to meals that don’t require counter space, the stove, or the oven, but don’t be surprised if you end up dining out more often.
4. A few nights in a hotel: Depending on your renovation, there may be some nights where sleeping in your home isn’t practical, or you just need a mental break from the mess. Budget for a few nights at a hotel ... or just schedule your family vacation for the worst part of the renovation.
5. Deep cleaning: It’s one thing to clean and maintain your home after a typical week or two of living. It’s entirely different to clean up after a construction project, as sawdust and other debris can get in every nook and cranny. It may be worth your sanity to just hire cleaners.
Author:KC Cormack Phone: 415-690-3346 Dated: March 20th 2017 Views: 134 About KC: Originally from Southern California, KC moved to San Francisco in 1990. After entering the real esta...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Established by the visionary John Barbagelata in 1952, Barbagelata Real Estate has become a premier agency throughout San Francisco and now the Bay Area. Our foundation of success is never forgetting the client experience is paramount to anything else. We offer a fresh, innovative approach with deep knowledge and expertise of our local markets. Our proven team of agents represents some of the top producers in the industry and we are affiliated (via Luxury Real Estate) with over 5,000 offices internationally.
Thank you from our owners: Paul Barbagelata, Broker & Anna Barbagelata, Associate Broker.
There's no more important time to work on your credit score than when
" Their combined experience and knowledge was overwhelmingly apparent as was their willingness to go the extra mile. We have yet to start the process of buying a new home but when we do, our first stop will be Barbagelata Real Estate!"