Going green is great for the environment, but that’s not the only benefit. When you make green upgrades in your home, it can also lead to some major savings.
1. Solar panels: The upfront cost is big, but the long-term savings are huge. Solar panels will cost several thousand dollars to install, but ongoing maintenance costs are very low, and a typical system could save you hundreds of dollars per year. You can even sell your surplus electricity.
2. Wood furnace: Wood-burning furnaces are relatively inexpensive, and though the yearly savings aren’t as dramatic (about 10% on heating bills), it adds up over the long run.
3. Insulation: There’s a good chance your insulation isn’t very efficient, especially in older homes. Look into installing floor, cavity, wall, and loft insulation to reduce your heating bills.
4. Rain barrels: Rain barrels are extremely inexpensive, and provide gallons of free water to use when you wash your car or water your garden.
5. Geothermal system: OK, so the price tag is scary at first. A geothermal system uses the earth’s temperature to heat and cool your home, but can cost $30,000 to install. But tax credits allow you to get a lot of that money back, and the energy savings average about $1,900 per year. If you plan to be in your home for a decade or two, it’s a great investment.
Author:KC Cormack Phone: 415-690-3346 Dated: January 14th 2017 Views: 201 About KC: Originally from Southern California, KC moved to San Francisco in 1990. After entering the real esta...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Established by the visionary John Barbagelata in 1952, Barbagelata Real Estate has become a premier agency throughout San Francisco and now the Bay Area. Our foundation of success is never forgetting the client experience is paramount to anything else. We offer a fresh, innovative approach with deep knowledge and expertise of our local markets. Our proven team of agents represents some of the top producers in the industry and we are affiliated (via Luxury Real Estate) with over 5,000 offices internationally.
Thank you from our owners: Paul Barbagelata, Broker & Anna Barbagelata, Associate Broker.
There are so many factors that go into a home buying decision that it
"I recently purchased my home with Barbagelata Real Estate. I was most fortunate to meet them during one of my open home tours. they were able to explain everything I needed to know to navigate the homebuying process. They were especially helpful in guiding me through the closing process, telling me what I needed to do at what time in order to execute my end of the deal. I was so happy to havetheur help, and I would recommend Barbagelata Real Estate to anyone looking to buy or sell their home!"